Monday, September 15, 2008

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day

Len says, I don't get it.

I tell him, You don't have to get it. Just enjoy it for what it is. When I first met you there was something about your eyes that drew me in. I couldn't say for sure what it was but the longer I looked, the less I wanted to leave.

As a matter of fact, I think it was specifically because we didn't hit it off that first time that I knew it was a thing. I frequently place myself in situations like that.

You make me question my own esthetics, he says.

That's not a bad thing, I say. He nods but I think he is annoyed.

Do you think you should always trust your first reaction, I ask. Now he appears baffled.

How do you take step two, if the first one isn't on firm ground?

Interesting people continue to reveal themselves over years.

Are you trying to Gaslight me? Don't try it, he says. I'm not stupid.

I don't think you're stupid at all. At all. Charming was my thought. It's in the sincerity of your smile when you are truly amused. I didn't believe you were aware of how appealing your smile is. Of course, now that I've mentioned it...

Oh, yes, he says, I'm very charming.

A child looking at the sculpture in front of us brings his hand to his lips and giggles. He touches the cool marble as I have done many times. Then he looks at Len and me and he stops giggling but continues to smile.

How charming is this little guy, Len asks and reaches to pat his head but the child walks away and stops with his back to us in front of another sculpture, one of a nude woman.

Touch it, I suggest. It feels cold and yet sensual at the same time. He puts his hand on the nodule shape close to the plinth but his eyes are on the nude in front of the child. If he can "get it" he appreciates it. Some things just take a little time. Years ago I was the same way.

Len smiles and I feel an irresistible urge to plant my lips on his.

Let's go look at some paintings, he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment