Saturday, January 31, 2009

In a Broken Mirror

In shards I see other days,
And then a time of trenchant smiles.
You backed away with graceful gestures
Leaving only these milestones,
Like puzzle pieces.

I will not replace, cannot replace
The shattered mirror
Containing reflections of the past
I cannot, will not otherwise
See, nor touch, nor hear or
Hold.

All lines leading to the point of impact
Just as the currents derive from a single source
Pressing on
Belying the undertow.
Yet, I enter the water.
I cannot deny, will not deny myself
The pleasure of wading
Through our history together.

The glass is broken.
The frame is solid
A very good wood,
It's a matter of containment.
This is unfinished business.

I stand very close to be able to see
Between the lines
The texture of my cheek while shaving and
Behind me it seems something shadowy moves
I turn to catch sight of it before it is gone
But it was never there.

In the broken mirror my many eyes reprimand me
I would apologize
Admit you were right and I not
If I thought it would unbreak the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment